Friday, January 28, 2011

Diet of champions

After three years of college, I finally snagged an apartment with a kitchen, and I've gone into overdrive. I am happy to say that I don't buy frozen foods and cook daily, and I'm actually enjoying it. I don't want to wallow in anecdotes because they tend to be nothing more than confirmation bias in action, but I will say that I think a long, healthy life begins at your plate (and your feet). Surprisingly, I've found that I enjoy eating these foods more than the typical college fare, though I enjoy a burger or a pizza after a long run or race.

Foods I will usually eat daily or close to daily:
-kale (possibly one of the healthiest things on the planet)
-winter squash (used to hate this as a kid, but when you get a good, ripe squash its heaven)
-Greek yogurt (breakfast every day with molasses and nuts mixed in)
-sweet potatoes (goes without saying)
-quinoa (I've crafted a whacked-out recipe that uses oregano, thyme, sun-dried tomatoes, and pecorino)
-walnuts/pecans/macadamia nuts (awesome)
-raw milk or washed-rind cheese (the stinkier, the better)
-carrots, rutabaga, turnips (by their flesh mashed together, they are Captain Root Vegetable)
-blueberries (no need to explain)
-apples (yep)
-lentils (with copious amounts of spices: cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, chiles, and garlic)
-tofu (supplement protein if/when needed)
-onions (baked slices, sauteed, whatever, I am an onion addict)
-mushrooms

The catalyst of civilization?

And beer. Every day. There is ample evidence that daily beer drinkers live longer, healthier lives than both alcoholics and teetotalers. I'm not sure if it's the alcohol, some beneficial compounds produced through fermentation, or a little bit of both...my two rules are that the beer I drink has to taste good, and I have to try as many new beers as possible. There is an insane number of microbreweries that all craft exceptional beers, ranging from the mild Islander Pale Ale I'm having now from Maritime Pacific, to the strong and complex Abyss from Deschutes that I finally got my hands on early this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment