Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Week ending Feb 18

Sunday: Off.

Monday: 8 miles, Centennial Drive, 1500ft of gain; 4 miles, Centennial Drive, 1000ft of gain. Two bouts on Centennial, as the trails are still treacherous and I'm not ready to take the risk of an acute injury before the race. I absolutely destroyed the afternoon run, completing it in a cool 26 minutes. I like having an intense run after I get back from the bike ride home - it's a nice way to get some extra energy for doing work in the evening.

Tuesday: 8 miles, Centennial Drive, 1500ft of gain. Felt a little stuffy in the nose this morning but that cleared out as soon as I hit the cold pavement. I finished feeling a little hotter than normal, and I was definitely not overdressed for 15 degrees and windy. Started feeling like crap later in the day and had to go home early - yep, it's a cold.

Wednesday: Off. Feel terrible, very bad congestion in my sinuses, pounding headache, but thankfully no fever. I slept during the day and skipped out on classes and work.

Thursday: Off. Feel better than yesterday, but I need to kick this before the race. I pulled a half day at the department - just classes and then an hour of research.

Friday: 8 miles, Foothills trail, 2000ft of gain. The bad congestion has subsided, so now I'm just dealing with a little latent stuffiness. I worked out a lot of it on the run. Then I hopped in the car and drove the Friday rush to DIA for my flight to Portland. Arriving at around 8pm, the re-pressurization on the descent knocked out the last remnants of congestion in my sinuses. I'm feeling good and ready to rip that mud up tomorrow - thanks to rest and sinus flushes.

Saturday: 31 miles, 3000ft of gain, Hagg Lake 50k. 7th place in 4:04:38, an hour faster than last year. Race report incoming.

Mileage: 59
Elevation gain: 9000ft
Time: 7.5 hours

I just barely recovered from the cold in time for the race. Maybe it was the forced rest on Wednesday and Thursday that gave me so much energy on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment