Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Week ending Apr 1

Monday: Off, stretching and light strengthening work.

Tuesday: 4 miles, Foothills trail, 1000ft of gain, 4 miles, Foothills trail, 1000ft of gain. Keeping everything loose with a very easy run in the morning, and a tempo run in the afternoon, both up to the big A.

Wednesday: 6 miles, Foothills trail, 1500ft of gain. My last run before the race, I took it really easy, shortening my usual out-and-back, and did quite a bit of strength work and stretching back at home.

Thursday: Off. Hopped on a plane from Denver this morning and drove to the Tri-Cities with Gordon and Terry. I opted for burgers and beer, rather than the pasta dinner; I do better when I start with some fat and protein.

Friday-Saturday: 100+ miles (I imagine on the order of 105), Badger Mountain Challenge, 19,000ft of gain. The sage Yoda once told Luke, "Do or do not, there is no try", words to run by. Despite terrible weather early on, a few navigational hiccups, and some equipment trouble, I managed 2nd place in 21:59 on what is an undoubtedly longer and more strenuous course. That double-climb over Candy and Badger Mountains in the last 6 miles evoked the most volatile mix of anger, excitement, and agony I've ever experienced in a race.

Sunday: Off, duh!

Race report coming.

Totals:
Mileage: 114 miles
Elevation gain: 22,500ft of gain

What a good way to kick off the year's 100 milers.

No comments:

Post a Comment